As summer comes to a close we begin to prepare for recruitment, an exciting yet potentially brutal time if one is not properly prepared. After last year I learned my lesson and decided to make a survival guide. Some of the items may sound trivial however you may be surprised by the things that can and will go wrong!
- WATER! Drink a lot of water! Door chants, talking, and constantly walking around is bound to make you dehydrated and leave you with a sore throat by the end of the week. If you’ve ever been dehydrated before you will know it feels a lot like death, from what I can imagine, and that is absolutely no way to spend recruitment.
- Cough/throat drops, mints, or any type of hard candy will help a lot with keeping your throat from becoming too sore. It is common for several girls voices to be completely shot after a few days, as I mentioned prior door chants and talking for 12 hours a day will definitely irritate your throat.
- Clear nail polish will be a quick fix for runs in stockings for when you forget an extra pair…
- But try and remember to bring an extra pair of stockings!
- A nail file, something a girl should be carrying at all times anyways!
- Snacks! This goes along with water, make sure you eat a lot. A hungry girl is not a happy girl and we need to be happy while talking to the potential new members! Bring little snacks like fruit or protein bars along to help quite your stomach and keep you energized between meal times.
- Floss or, my personal favorite, Colgate Wisp, a portable toothbrush! No one wants to talk to someone with stinky breath!
- A spare pair of shoes, flats would be best! Make sure they are approved by your head of recruitment, there is nothing worse than having a comfy pair of shoes you can wear that aren’t on the approved list!
- Bring your makeup, I hope this is an obvious one, yet there are always girls who forget and regret later. Your makeup will sweat off - if it doesn’t, please tell me what miracle makeup you are using cause I need to get my hands on that!
- Feminine products, again, an obvious one! Mother nature can be a sneaky, especially when you are surrounded by upwards of 100 girls 24/7 for two straight weeks (this survival list can apple to spirit/work week as well). So be prepared, you may save a sisters day!
I stick by the motto_ “plan for the worst, hope for the best”_, if you follow this list hopefully recruitment will run smoothly and help eliminate any additional stress. Happy Recruitment and may the odds be ever in your favor!