I’ll admit it: I didn’t start drinking coffee until I got to college. And then I really didn’t start drinking coffee until I after I became a barista. It didn’t take very long for me to drop the sugary-sweet syrups and extra toppings and start slinging back espresso shots like it was water.
(One time during Greek Week, I took six espresso shots in the space of about fifteen minutes. I’m pretty positive that I could see my heart beating.)
Now, I require at least two cups of coffee to start my day off. There are some days when I feel as though every other question out of my mouth, “Do you want to stop for coffee?” Often, if I wasn’t at my apartment, at an event for my sorority, or in class, you could find me at Starbucks. I’m not ashamed to admit that coffee is one of my favorite things in the entire world. And if it’s one of your favorite things too, here’s why it’s okay:
- Coffee is great. That’s actually a real reason. Coffee is great because it’s a magical drink passed down from the gods. Don’t try and tell me otherwise.
- It’ll wake you up. Typically, I try to drink a glass of water when I first wake up just so I can get a little hydrated. But then I practically dive for the coffee pot. It gives my brain the kick start it needs so I can become a semi-human in the morning.
- You can add whatever you want to coffee. Want to drown it in half-and-half? Go right ahead. Want to add six packets of sugar? You do you. Take your coffee black? More power to you. Want to make your coffee “special” and throw some Bailey’s into it (hello, senior year homecoming)? Go for it. You can switch up how you take your coffee whenever you want.
- It’s a versatile drink. You can drink coffee any time of the year. In the dead of winter, there’s nothing better than starting off your day with a steaming mug of coffee. On a sweltering summer day, an iced coffee is a perfect pick-me-up. It’s never too hot or too cold for coffee.
- It’s a great excuse to get together with your friends. So it’s too early for happy hour, but you just have to tell your three closest friends about that thing that the one girl from your class did. Go buy some coffee and procrastinate for the next two hours, all while bonding with your friends.
- It’s an even better excuse to get out of the office for a few minutes. Sometimes you just need a break when your day seems to drag. If you’re one of the many people whose office provides awful coffee, you now have the perfect excuse to go out and get yourself caffeine that doesn’t make you want to cry.
- Coffee will be your best friend during finals week. I’m almost positive that I consumed enough caffeine to keep a small nation awake for several days during finals week. And that’s totally fine, because how else was I supposed to study for that anatomy class?
- Coffee will always be there for you, and it will never leave you. This is true. If I’m having a crappy day, a cup of coffee will make it seem just a little bit better. And there is nothing wrong with that.