Easily, one of the best moments during my time in my sorority was getting my little. I will never forget meeting her, because I knew from the moment we were introduced that she would be my little. From that moment on, we were basically inseparable.
If you have a little, you know that you are her role model, the person that she looks up to, and someone that will be there for her no matter what. You’re the one who teaches her and hopefully inspires her. Even so, you discover that as a big sister, sometimes your roles are reversed. Sometimes, your little is the one that teaches you.
There have been times when my little taught me just as much as I’ve taught her, and I have no doubt that I have more to learn from her. So here’s what we should always be thanking our littles for, no matter what:
- She listens to you whine about the same thing over and over again. Did you end something with that boy you maybe might have possibly been dating? Did you get a bad grade? Did that one girl in your psych class take your seat even though you’re more than halfway through the semester? She’ll listen to you complain about it as many times as you need to. And she’ll probably agree with you.
- While we’re on the subject of boys, she’ll remind you how awesome you are when you get dumped. There will be countless times you’ll cry to her or ask her why you weren’t good enough for him and she’ll immediately say, “Shut up, you’re amazing.” Which is true, by the way.
- She’ll always be down for a wine night. Enough said.
- The two of you will make incredibly sappy Instagram posts about each other. And you’ll both refuse to apologize for them. Any why should you have to? You love your little and she loves you. Make all the cheesy posts that you want. The world needs to know.
- If you’re having a bad day, chances are she knows just what to do to make it better. Which means there is a latte in your future, because that is the perfect pick-me-up. You’ll probably get some chocolate out of the deal, too. Even if coffee and candy aren’t your thing, she’ll know exactly what to say to make you laugh.
- She’ll take care of you when you go a little too hard. You know all those nights you took care of your little when she had a little too much fun at the party? Yeah, she’ll make up for it when she shows up at your apartment at 10:00 in the morning with saltines and Gatorade because you have the hangover from hell.
- She knows when you need a dose of reality. Sure, she’ll listen to you vent about how unfair your life is, but she’ll also tell you when you need to lock it up. Bright side: she won’t judge you if you don’t lock it up immediately.
- You have weird little bonding activities that probably no one else understands. My little and I send each other cat pictures weekly. It’s probably weird, but whatever.
- She’ll convince you to have fun, even when you don’t feel like it. There will be nights that you want to stay in because, “I’m graduating in a month and I need to focus” or “I really need to get this paper done.” She’ll make you go out anyway – even if it’s just for a game night with your sisters. She knows that you need it, and you’ll thank her later.
- And if you’re really lucky, she’ll give you the perfect grandlittle. You’ll be further amazed when you get this new, perfect addition to your family. That’s just another reason to thank your little.