Snail mail: something we probably thought was dead except for bills, scams, and wedding invites. Letter writing is almost a dead form of communication amongst those of our generation-and quite honestly-I don’t like that. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a letter from my mom or my cousin or even just getting one of my subscription packages. We need to being snail mail back, and these are some of the reasons why:
- Reason #1: Even though it takes a couple of days to get to a person, it can make that person extremely happy. Take this as an example: I was having a horrible day because I had a headache and finding out my test grade didn’t make it better but when I went to check my campus mailbox I found a card from my mom along with a package. It made me really happy to find that and what she wrote in the card made me happy.
- Reason #2: You can say things that you probably can’t say over text or a phone call. By that I mean you can say it when you think it out more and make it more eloquent than you would through text.
- Reason #3: Two words. Love letters. Now I don’t have a boyfriend but if I did I would love to get letters from him even if we go to the same school. Part of this idea is from my great aunt and uncle who wrote to each other while my great uncle served in WWII. Seriously I think love letters are the cutest thing even if it’s small and short.
- Reason #4: You can communicate with friends in different states. Yes there are phones for that but letters can include more than texts can. You can send pictures to your friends or even just somethings from your schools bookstore like stickers or a key chain.
- Reason #5: Letters can easily be saved while texts can get easily deleted. I know that you can always burn letters but there are ways to save them so they won’t be burned or destroyed somehow.
- Reason #6: It doesn’t always have to be in your handwriting. You can make it calligraphy, bubble letters, etc. Different kinds of handwriting is a cool way to keep letters funny or really pretty.
- Reason #7: It doesn’t have to be written like an essay. You can write it any way you want. It can be as crazy as the thoughts running through your brain or as eloquent as a sonnet.
Snail mail is a wonderful way to keep up with what your friends are doing, even if it takes a few days to get it. Letters are incredible to keep and an beautiful way of communication. So get some stamps ready and get writing, Stylista!