To my future little(s),
As I sit here, about a month away from recruitment, I can’t help but think of you.
When I first joined a sorority, the whole concept of big/little didn’t make much sense to me. I didn’t understand the purpose of having a girl that was in the pledge class before yours, give you a bunch of crafts and gifts and suddenly that made you best friends and they changed your life.
Then I received my big. My big and I have a little bit of a different story. We had never met each other, until the exact moment whenever she revealed herself. It was one of those moments that I had never felt more awkward in my life because this person that I had never met, had spend all this money on me, and already loved me unconditionally.
I love my big to death. It took me a little bit longer than it took my big to feel the connection of being a little and having a big. But from the moment we were introduced, every time I walked into a sorority function, or chapter, or even just to study at the house, I was greeted by my big, yelling “HI BABY!”. And it was the most amazing thing to be loved by someone so much even though she had only known me for a few days. And I loved her back. She became one of my best friends.
So as I sit here, making crafts for my unknown little(s), I want to make a few promises to her (or possibly them):
- I promise to help you adjust to college. Whether it be sitting with you while we study, helping you with a math problem, taking you out for the first time, helping you with laundry, hang up pictures, hang out with visiting friends, or listen while you cry about being homesick, whatever you need to adjust to college life, I promise to help you. It is a rough transition and everyone needs someone to tell them that it is going to be okay.
- I promise to help you adjust to being in a sorority. Whether it comes naturally, or it is a whole new world, being in a sorority can be overwhelming at times. Especially when you don’t understand everything at first. I know I was lost beyond words for the first couple weeks. But don’t ever be afraid to ask any questions you may have. I am here to be your guide, and promise to fulfill that duty as much as you need it.
- I promise to encourage you in everything. My big is probably one of the most encouraging people I’ve ever met. Whether it be I am applying for a position, having trouble in a class, or even having personal problems, my big is always there to tell me that I can do anything I want to do. I promise to do the same for you.
- I promise to be there for you. Whether I needed someone to complain to, or an opinion on cutting my hair, my big is always there to help. I want to know what is going on in your life, no matter how small the detail.
- I promise to be an ego boost. If I come into chapter, looking downright disgusting, my big will tell me I look beautiful. She always likes and comments on my Instagram pictures. She favorites a lot of my tweets. In short, she makes me feel better about myself. I want to be able to remind you even in the worst of times that you are a beautiful person inside and out.
- I promise to be your therapist. I once sat on a bathroom floor for an hour talking to my big about my problems. Not only did she listen, but she gave me advice that maybe I didn’t want to, but needed to hear. I want to be there for you whenever you are needing someone to listen and to give you advice.
- I promise to be your designated driver. Sometimes a big has got to be the mom and pick her child up so that she doesn’t get hurt. Don’t ever hesitate to call me whenever you’ve had too much and are afraid to walk back across campus or can’t drive the car. I would much rather get out of my bed and get you home safe, then have you feel unsafe and risk your life.
- I promise to be your best friend. College is hard. Sometimes you feel lonely and upset and confused and lost. You are going to need people that will be there for you no matter what. Sometimes I may have to act like an actual mom and give you life advice and talk you out of things. But most of the time, I will be right there partying and laughing with you.
Being a big is more than being an older person in a sorority. It’s about guiding your little through experiences that you may have already been through. It’s about showing them how amazing your sorority is and how beautiful each and every one of your sisters is. It’s about loving them unconditionally, through the good times and the bad.
I hope that when I get my little (or possibly littles), they understand that I will stop at nothing to make sure they know just how much I love them. I hope my little(s) know that their grandbig and great grandbig love them just as much as I do. I hope that I can be half the big that my big has been to me. And I hope they know that being their big is not just during college, but for life.
Counting down the days until I get to meet you and you get to join my beautiful family!
Your future big